I really enjoy using Mutillidae, it is one of my favorite teaching tools. I usually run it on a Windows box, but when I went to use it in the Metasploitable 2 VM I was getting a lot of database errors. Scanning through the support sites and comments I finally found that their is a configuration file issue and wanted to re-post the fix here.
You need to change the database name from “metasploit” to “owasp10” in the “config.inc” file.
In Metasploitable VM navigate to /var/www/Mutillidae
- Type, “sudo nano config.inc”
Change the database name from ‘metasploit’ to ‘owasp10’ :
- Restart Apache by typing, “sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload”
- Lastly open Mutillidae in a browser
- Click, “Reset DB”
You should now be all set to use Mutillidae!